Are your potential clients searching online?
. . . are they finding you?
SEO for Financial Advisors
"According to recent research, Organic Search accounts for 73% of all traffic to service industry websites, while social media traffic accounts for only 5%."
You've invested time and money in the development of your firm's website:
- Are you getting the traffic that you had hoped for?
- Are you showing up on Google Maps?
- Are you ranking ahead of your competition on Organic search for industry related keywords?
- Are you paying too much for your pay-per-click advertising campaign?
SEO can help!
What is SEO?
SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is the process of establishing the relevancy and authority of your website in the eyes of the search engines. The goal behind SEO is to help your website appear on the search engine results pages (SERPs) for important industry and location based keyword searches.
Our Standard SEO package includes On-Page and Local (Google Maps) optimization.
* Content Creation not included in SEO Package
Having a website that is not optimized for search is like being listed in the White Pages of the phonebook – those people that already know your business name can find you. However, if someone is looking for the services or products that you offer, you have to be listed in the Yellow Pages (optimized) for them to learn of your business.
"If your website is not appearing on the first page of the Search Engine Results Pages for your Advisor keywords, you're simply not being found through the Search Engines."
Benefits of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Advisors
- Appear on the first page of the search engine results page for Financial Advisor Keywords
- Increased traffic to your website
- Your website traffic will be of higher quality
- Rank for more product/service related keywords
- Rank in the Local Search Results for your Geographical area (Google Maps)
- Improve "Pay Per Click" advertising ROI
- Improve "User Experience"
- Results can be easily measured and reported
To understand the effects of SEO, it first helps to know your way around a Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
The Anatomy of a Search Engine Results Page
Pay Per Click Ads
The listings at the top of the SERP are usually Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Ads. You can identify them by the “Ad” box under the heading.
To appear in the paid ads, businesses set up an Adwords account, choose keywords, and set a bid range for those keywords. Each time that keyword is searched, Google runs a quick auction and places the companies that bid the highest at the top of page one (this is a simplified explanation as there are other factors that affect results). Those companies then pay the bid price if/when someone clicks on their ad.
Pay-Per-Click ads are part of Search Engine Marketing (SEM), but not part of the SEO process.
Organic SEO Listings
Organic Listings are those that were deemed by Google to be the most relevant and authoritative - factors that SEO can impact - answers to the searcher’s query.
The businesses that appear in the Organic listings don’t pay Google to be placed there.
About 75% of searchers that click on a listing, click on an organic (organic and Local) listing rather than the PPC ads. In addition, very few searchers look beyond Page One for the answer to their search. It is therefore desirable to appear high on the first page of the SERPs.
Advantages of Organic SEO:
- You can optimize for unlimited keywords – i.e. estate planning, retirement planning, etc
- You can optimize for multiple locations – i.e. optimize for search in nearby communities that you serve, but do not have a physical address for.
Disadvantages of Organic SEO:
- organic rankings for the Financial Services industry are very competitive and achieving a high ranking can be resource intensive.
Local SEO Listings
For broad industry keyword related searches (i.e. financial planning, investing, insurance), Google usually displays “Local” listings. These are the listings that are tied to “Google Maps”.
While there are steps to specifically set-up for Local SEO success, local rankings are ultimately dependent on a combination of both Local and Organic SEO work.
Advantages of Local optimization:
- are reserved for businesses with a physical location in that area
Disadvantages of Local optimization:
- limited to a few “broad” keywords
- limited to the area where you have a physical address
4 Components to an Overall SEO Strategy
1. On-Page Search Engine Optimization
On-page SEO includes changes that can be made to your website to make it more user and search engine friendly. These strategies usually evolve around your “keywords” and primarily affect your perceived Relevancy.
2. Local Search Optimization (Google Maps)
Local SEO is designed to help you appear in, and rank higher in the Local Search Results – those tied to Google Maps. The Local listings are a reflection of both Relevancy (to the physical area that is being searched), and Authority, with those of higher Authority appearing higher in the Local listings. Ranking in Google Maps depends on On-page SEO and Off-page SEO, as well as specific “local” optimization steps.
3. Off-Page Search Engine Optimization:
Your perceived Authority – how high you’ll be ranked – is most impacted by off-page SEO, especially by the quantity of quality backlinks pointing at your website from other websites. Backlinks are the currency of search. We will help you to develop relevant, quality backlinks that are search engine approved.
Benefits of Link Building (when done right):
- traffic from links
- improved “authority” in the eyes of the search engines, therefore higher search rankings for organic and local search
4. Technical SEO:
Technical SEO is becoming increasingly important as Google emphasizes things like User Experience, site loading speed, and mobile friendliness.
Technical SEO looks at issues involving how your website interacts with the search engines – are they able to crawl and index your website – and best set-up practices for a good user experience.
Google’s search algorithm involves more than 200 elements, and with the frequent updates and changes, Search Engine Optimization has become a moving target. As such, it is important to start your climb to the top of the Search Engine Results pages by working with SEO experts that follow and study those changes on a daily basis – like the experts at Advisor Web Marketing. We use only Search Engine “approved” SEO techniques.