Pay Per Click Search Engine Advertising
Pay Per Click Advertising for Financial Advisors
Pay Per Click Advertising (also known as Search Engine Marketing) allows you to pay to have your listing/ad appear on the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
Paid ads typically appear at the top and bottom of the SERPs, and can be identified by the word "Ad" at the beginning of the listing (Google makes it a little easier to spot than Bing by putting a box around the word "Ad").
How Do PPC Ads Work?
In theory, PPC advertising is pretty simple - advertisers set up a Google Adword's account (or Bing Ads), determine which keywords they want to bid on, write ad copy for each set of keywords, set a maximum bid amount and total monthly budget.
Each time a search is made the search engine holds an instant auction determining which ads should be displayed, and in which order they should appear. The auction results are based on a combination of bid and campaign quality score.
If the searcher clicks on your ad, you pay the bid amount that was required to win the auction (may be less than your max bid). This continues until your daily or monthly budget is used up, or you turn your ads off.
Benefits of Per-Per-Click Ads
1. PPC enables you to set your own budget, allowing your to control your budget and limit your risk.
2. You can appear at the top of the SERPs almost instantly if you have the budget.
3. PPC allows you to compete for the hard-to-rank for keywords.
4. You can target your audience by location.
5. The appearance of a PPC ad and an organic listing in the same SERP can lead to an increase Click-through-rate (CTR).
6. Re-targeting allows you to continue to market to visitors even after they leave your site.
Drawbacks to PPC Ads
1. Financial Planning is a competitive industry and bidding on keywords can be expensive, especially the broad keywords.
2. There is no guarantee that a visitor will turn into a client when they visit your website, but you still have to pay for the click.
3. There is potential for click fraud where a competitor clicks on your ad and uses up your budget.
4. Despite being able to appear at the top of the SERPs right away, a successful PPC campaign can take time to develop - plan on committing 6 months to really test it.
5. The results go away as soon as you turn off your campaign.